Extreme Web Productivity with Spring Roo
Spring Roo is SpringSource's new open source technology which delivers working enterprise Java applications within 10 minutes. Spring Roo provides interactive, lightweight (a 3 Mb download!), user customizable tooling that enables rapid delivery of high performance enterprise Java applications. Spring Roo includes numerous features, some of which include:
- Working applications within 10 minutes of finishing the download
- 100% Java programming, offering developers a familiar, mature and mainstream programming platform
- Transparent, reliable and productive IDE services like code assist, debuggers, visual error reporting etc
- Extremely efficient runtime performance, type safety and zero runtime dependencies on Roo
- Zero lock-in and dependence on Roo (optionally jump-start your project then remove it in ~4 clicks!)
- Automatic, best practice Spring Framework 3 application architectures
- Maven 2-based project structures
- JPA-based persistence (eg via Hibernate) and with 100% JPA compliance and implementation portability
- Bean Validation (JSR 303) support, including propagation of the constraints down to database DDL
- Automated JUnit integration tests that build on Spring Framework's integration test features
- An automated RESTful application backend, complete with Selenium tests and URI rewriting
- Dynamically creating finders on your entities, producing robust JPA QL finder methods without any coding
- Spring Security and Spring Web Flow installation ("install security") installation
- Messaging support, including both email and JMS
- Round-trip support that sustains higher productivity over the full application lifecycle
- Embedded Tomcat server container usage
- Full Eclipse and SpringSource Tool Suite integration
- An easy-to-use, tab-completing, hint-providing, contextually-aware command line shell
- Scripting support
In this presentation, Stefan Schmidt will introduce Spring Roo. Stefan will cover what is Roo, how to get started, and how to build a new enterprise application in just minutes.
Attendees who invest their time in this session will leave with a comprehensive understanding of what Roo is and its basic operation. We look forward to introducing this exciting new Spring project to you.
Dr Stefan Schmidt has been a Systems Engineer with SpringSource since early 2008. He is currently based in the Sydney, Australia office, where he has been a key Roo developer since the project began. Stefan's work on Roo focuses on many of the most popular add-ons, including those which provide web, messaging and dynamic finder features.
Stefan has been developing Java enterprise applications since 2003. Prior to his work at SpringSource, Stefan has been teaching various Enterprise Java subjects at the University of Technology in Sydney. He mentored hundreds of students in the design of enterprise software architectures with focus on scalability, separation of concerns and design patterns using enterprise Java technologies.